Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Fundraiser] New Map! 1570/1100

Lady Alec

Captain No Fun
Mystic
Retired Staff
Lady_Alec
Lady_Alec
LegendMystic
Once the new map is finished and we transfer over would it be possible to be given a copy of this RP worlds MC map file for personal use? As at that time there will be no spoilers to be found that will have any bearing on RP etc?
I was wondering this as I kinda like where my regions are and would love to keep a copy of my work in this world's setting.

Spark

Broken
That's a lot of money.

If you're really going to spend that much on a new map, you should probably regulate building quality. There's literally no point in having a stunning map (is really does look stunning), that is plagued with shit builds.

Maybe even size/people limitations, so you don't get one person cities, and towns actually grow like real towns, instead of cities appearing out of nowhere and being made to look like a creative plot world (I'm looking at you Le Havre). Start of with villages that grow into towns, to cities, etc.

If you're going to let people copy paste their towns across, what's the point in even having a new map.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
For months eh? That implies you've been doing it for a long period of time where staff were quite firm they didn't want a new map. I guess one more reason I was kicked out.
You can solicit offers to check your options without committing to a new map. If staff decides against it, all youve done is wasted some time and made some contacts, if they decide for it, you can get right down to business and have a plan to actually move things forward which is great because the staff community has long suffered from the problem of not actually doing a whole lot. Thats not pointing fingers, thats a fact, it was like that before my time, while I was an admin, and from what Ive heard it continued after that and still continues today. No offense intended to anyone, I was just as guilty of the rest, but it remains no less true.

moving regions is lame

give people refunds for all region costs + some of their resources
Just because you dont have a large build you have invested large amounts of time and emotion into does not mean this is true of everyone. If you are seriously espousing this as the best course of action then you should give a reason why moving builds is lame and why its more lame than the very large amount of destruction of emotional value that a wipe would cause in some of the most prolific members of this community.

I also wished I got to know about this before I literally got excited to build again and spent the last week carefully deconstructing my old town.
I feel for you, it does seem like the timing is always wrong. The question is, if the construction and move to the new map can be done quickly enough, or can be solidly set on a near-future-timeline in which we are certain with a large degree of confidence, then if its a short wait you can just wait or a long one just build and have whatever you build transferred. Of course in the past neither of those things happened very often, but if the staff team can achieve it then there shouldnt be an issue.

$1,100.

For a minecraft map.

This seems like a colossal waste of funding. We could make our own map again, and no it won't be as good, but I'm sure that together, as a community effort, we could come up with an extremely good one - for free.
An important thing to remember is that 1100 dollars is not actually a lot of money, though it seems like it to each of us. For an investment into a really high-quality map that will last for 4 or 5 years, (by the way the map may be the single most important investment in a medieval fantasy MC world, after hardware concerns) 1100 is manageable if the map is high enough quality.
I have very little information about the current lay of the land (ba dum tss) in regards to the world of MC map-making, but those pictures look better than anything Ive ever seen before. Still if we are dishing out serious cash for a serious investment, then the game world needs not just to be pretty, but it needs to have our vision. The map of the gameworld determines a lot about what goes on in it, and if we dont tailor our new map to our needs and just let the maker make all the decisions we may get something that falls short of expectations in terms of actual payoffs even though it looks pretty.
Thats a concern that whoever is the point of contact with the maker (seems like antilogy) will need to discuss with the maker.

By Odin's ravens! $1,100 for a map!? I'd rather build it with my own hands.
Do it. (Spoilers: you wont.)

On discussion about moving regions, which is the critical issue.

In the past, when I was around, and we moved to a new map we copied over regions with WE and the experienced ones terraformed them to fit. Please note that this was done successfully. Wintermourne was originally under a cliff face and anchored to a very different shape of mountain, and it is now very nicely terraformed into mounting it currently sits on.
Not every region will be able to moved exactly as it stands and then be terraformed nicely to fit, in all likelihood some regions will need to have their layout slightly modified in order to accommodate it but thats a doable thing.

For all this discussion about "not moving regions because of ruining the map aesthetic" Im really not sure what this means and I suspect this is not your true rejection. The map is there to serve us, not for us to be a slave to its "aesthetic." If we could not build on a map without ruining it it would be an entirely useless map. The point of it is to be built on. The "aesthetic" of the map, to the extent that that is a well defined concept, is there to add flavor and inspiration to your builds, not to exist by itself. Its beautiful because of what you can and have done with it, and the prettier and more well-made and realistic, the more you can do with it. So you ought not worry about ruining its "aesthetic." Moving regions in poorly might do that, but it can be done right. (Note: I am not staff and so I cannot say with certainty that the plan they will take is to allow all regions to be moved. While I feel its incredibly unlikely, they may decide that only builds of a certain quality will be transferred. I hope that is not what they do.)

In the past moving regions to new maps has taken a very, very, very long time, and was by no means done perfectly in every case. I dont know what the composition of the staff team looks like at the minute but just based on statistics I dont think there are many (if any at all) who were staff the last time we needed to move to a new map. If that is the case, then you need to know that the hardest, most stressful, and most time consuming part of this endeavor will be moving regions to the new map. So just make sure you are prepared for that, and that is the part that requires the largest portion of your attention.

Overall I think that a new map would be a pretty good idea. Map-making seems to have advanced quite a lot and so theres a lot of new things available to us in a new map that we are missing out on here. 1100 dollars is a serious investment but this seems like high quality work, so long as the staff here makes sure that our vision gets communicated to the maker so we have a map that actually suits us. (and thats critical for an investment of this size.) This is a move that brings a lot to the table, but an expedient process for moving regions is going to end up being what makes or breaks this.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
That's a lot of money.

If you're really going to spend that much on a new map, you should probably regulate building quality. There's literally no point in having a stunning map (is really does look stunning), that is plagued with shit builds.

Maybe even size/people limitations, so you don't get one person cities, and towns actually grow like real towns, instead of cities appearing out of nowhere and being made to look like a creative plot world (I'm looking at you Le Havre). Start of with villages that grow into towns, to cities, etc.

If you're going to let people copy paste their towns across, what's the point in even having a new map.
This entirely misses the point of why we have maps to build on in minecraft. The goal is not to create a 3D picture which looks really good. The goal is to give everyone a workspace upon which to build that gives them the most options and the inspires them. A map too pretty to build on is useless.
To quote myself from an age gone by:

This is minecraft. You cannot prevent people from building in minecraft.

Even if they are really, really bad at it.

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
Personally, I am in love with the idea of a new map especially one that is bigger than the current one. That does not mean I do not have my concerns about it.

First and foremost, region integration. In my experience, I have seen that region lore is not just based on the people in it, but what is physically in and around the region. I could compare this to sewing patches onto an ornate sheet of cloth; the cloth will most definitely function, however it will take great effort to make it look seamless. Another concern is what determines whether a pre-existing region is allowed to be transferred over since they clearly cannot take every single region and copy and paste it over to the new map, not that I want that to happen of course. An interesting concern pops into my mind regarding as to the criteria of region transfer eligibility; activity of the region is most definitely going to be considered and most likely role-play significance. I would be interested to see what the staff had in mind for deciding this as the idea of a new map develops further. Now, lore wise, I can see definite problems with a new world. In my mind, I can only see an exodus type event to a new world given how vastly different this map will be to the current one. Could there be something different? Probably, and I am not going to elaborate on my speculations since this is for the lore team to decide, not me.

On the positive side however, while I have only been on this server for five months now, I can still definitively say that the current map is cramped. The worst part about it is that most of the regions present in this map are devoid of people to role-play in. Having a larger map will give active regions more breathing room from others and it will allow journeys from region to region to be more interesting and possibly encourage more people to take journeys on horseback or foot for the purpose of viewing the terrain of the map and immersing oneself in the journey.

In short, I look forward to a new map and I am sure the staff can dispel problems that arise from a possible transition.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
why not?
and

why not?
My main argument is that 3/4 of the regions current on our map are inactive and have players who log on once per week at best.

I'm all for moving regions over if they're active or have active owners, but our goal should be to move forward and have a better map with new opportunities for the new guys. I don't think inactives should be fucked, though. I'm for giving them cash and resources instead of a region port.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
My main argument is that 3/4 of the regions current on our map are inactive and have players who log on once per week at best.

I'm all for moving regions over if they're active or have active owners.
Thats a reason why we shouldnt move over every region, not a reason we can't.
I think that a necesarry part of a suitable region-transfer solution will be some large incentive either for starting over or against bringing over towns unlikely to succeed, but damnit if someone sunk 30 hours into a build that only they have ever seen and they are willing to jump through hoops then there should be some path for getting it transferred.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Thats a reason why we shouldnt move over every region, not a reason we can't.
I think that a necesarry part of a suitable region-transfer solution will be some large incentive either for starting over or against bringing over towns unlikely to succeed, but damnit if someone sunk 30 hours into a build that only they have ever seen and they are willing to jump through hoops then there should be some path for getting it transferred.
My bad, I should have differentiated between the wording. It's 100% possible to port over every region. I'm in agreement to that.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
My bad, I should have differentiated between the wording. It's 100% possible to port over every region. I'm in agreement to that.
Just to be clear, Im not simply splitting semantic hairs.

If every single person wants to transfer their region and is willing to fulfill whatever requirements are decided upon to do that, then the correct thing to do is to transfer every build over.
Of course theres no way that everyone will want to and theres no way that everyone who wants to will be willing to work for it, so I dont think that outcome is likely to happen.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Just to be clear, Im not simply splitting semantic hairs.

If every single person wants to transfer their region and is willing to fulfill whatever requirements are decided upon to do that, then the correct thing to do is to transfer every build over.
Of course theres no way that everyone will want to and theres no way that everyone who wants to will be willing to work for it, so I dont think that outcome is likely to happen.
Right, if you meet the requirements there shouldn't be a region cap or whatever for what can be ported. I agree to that too.

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
why not?
and

why not?
The first statement, I worded incorrectly. It is possible for them to move every single existing region on the current map, but the real concern is would they want to. I went to dynamic and I counted 96 individual regions and that figure is supposed to be higher since I did not count all of the regions without a blip, I only counted ones I could easily spot from a birds eye view. moving all of those regions and making the land upon which they were built on seamlessly fit would take an incredible amount of effort. Like Rygan said, most of those regions are inactive and there just is not enough people to properly populate every single one of them.

Arcana

Daedric Prince
Pronouns
She/Her
To be honest, I think there should be a certain system of owning regions for the next map, so there are much less ruins and inactive regions.

Perhaps- they have to gather up active supporters to keep their town/city/etc. active, and before they begin constructing their regions. This way, there isn't just two people living in a city with thirty buildings. I'd say, at least-
5/8 citizens per village
9/12 citizens per town
13/16 citizens per city
At the least. I know there is only around 40 active players at the most, maybe even more if I'm wrong. But, just speaking my mind. I can't tell if this is a really good idea or a really bad idea, or if it even makes sense
¯\_(ツ)_/¯