Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Fundraiser] New Map! 1570/1100

Immerael

The Shadow Admín
Retired Staff
To be honest, I think there should be a certain system of owning regions for the next map, so there are much less ruins and inactive regions.

Perhaps- they have to gather up active supporters to keep their town/city/etc. active, and before they begin constructing their regions. This way, there isn't just two people living in a city with thirty buildings. I'd say, at least-
5/8 citizens per village
9/12 citizens per town
13/16 citizens per city
At the least. I know there is only around 40 active players at the most, maybe even more if I'm wrong. But, just speaking my mind. I can't tell if this is a really good idea or a really bad idea, or if it even makes sense
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Problem with these requirements is Anhald the biggest organized group on the server routinely has 5ish players active on any given day/time. Gratned this grows exponentially during events and such but 13-16 players is a significant portion of the server on a normal day. Also cities go through waxing and waning. Thiil, Grafjell, Zima, Breakwater/Le Havre all have gone through waxes and wanes in their population.

Spark

Broken
This entirely misses the point of why we have maps to build on in minecraft. The goal is not to create a 3D picture which looks really good. The goal is to give everyone a workspace upon which to build that gives them the most options and the inspires them. A map too pretty to build on is useless.
To quote myself from an age gone by:

This is minecraft. You cannot prevent people from building in minecraft.

Even if they are really, really bad at it.
You can't stop people from building on Minecraft.
You can stop people from building on the server.
You shouldn't stop people from building on the server.
You can and should limit where and what they can build on the server.

There are places people can build to their heart's content. You still have the creative map don't you? There's also the sorrows.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
I'm in favour of our current system of region making with the addition of having to have a set number of players when first making the region.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Bring back an EF with claimable chunks and you'll see less people minding construction restrictions in the not-NK.

Arcana

Daedric Prince
Pronouns
She/Her
Problem with these requirements is Anhald the biggest organized group on the server routinely has 5ish players active on any given day/time. Gratned this grows exponentially during events and such but 13-16 players is a significant portion of the server on a normal day. Also cities go through waxing and waning. Thiil, Grafjell, Zima, Breakwater/Le Havre all have gone through waxes and wanes in their population.
Yes, that's true. I wasn't saying it was required but at least that amount of citizens per whatever. Like I said, it's just an idea, and I thought you gave some solid feedback on that too.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
To be honest, I think there should be a certain system of owning regions for the next map, so there are much less ruins and inactive regions.

Perhaps- they have to gather up active supporters to keep their town/city/etc. active, and before they begin constructing their regions. This way, there isn't just two people living in a city with thirty buildings. I'd say, at least-
5/8 citizens per village
9/12 citizens per town
13/16 citizens per city
At the least. I know there is only around 40 active players at the most, maybe even more if I'm wrong. But, just speaking my mind. I can't tell if this is a really good idea or a really bad idea, or if it even makes sense
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This was one method we used in the past, you had to reach "active citizen" thresholds for full rights in getting transferred. It was really quite similar to what you suggested.
It didnt really work. This creates only the incentive to get people to sign on as active supports for the time being, it had little to no bearing on whether or not people actually continued either being active or supporting once the move had taken place. Cities that had more than enough people to reach their threshold encouraged their extra members to instead sign on with other allies who did not have as many they could claim. There were a couple other reasons too.

As a general rule I think that the proper solution set for this includes mostly carrot incentives as opposed to stick. If you dont want someone to transfer soemthing to the new map, offer them something in value in return.

For example, you could do something like, for those with large regions, if they dont get it transferred over and simply choose to get the plots refunded, they get 50% more money from the refund. This gives them something of value in return for their sacrifice, and enables them to get off to a quick start in the new map because theyve got extra capital.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
Bring back an EF with claimable chunks and you'll see less people minding construction restrictions in the not-NK.
Yea I did like that system, it was a great place for beginners to try out their hands at building and develop their skills and it did help a lot and I think it ought to be a thing again.

However I am still against building restrictions on the grounds of "build quality" because of how subjective that is with no good metric and because individuals have vastly different visions for the server which influence which builds they think are appropriate.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Yea I did like that system, it was a great place for beginners to try out their hands at building and develop their skills and it did help a lot and I think it ought to be a thing again.

However I am still against building restrictions on the grounds of "build quality" because of how subjective that is with no good metric and because individuals have vastly different visions for the server which influence which builds they think are appropriate.
I don't think build quality is the issue - The current concerns lay on porting over, say, an entire seastack from the old world that's really 100% different terrain from the new map.

Spark

Broken
In my opinion, having some restrictions in place that actually means people have to work together to create something big will not only keep current players interested in the server, but allow new players to feel like they're contributing to a collective goal, and see that it's making a difference.

On the subject of build quality. Maybe the reason the server has only really had a small amount of good builders, is because there has never been a reason for people to practice and improve, besides personal motivation.

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
I don't think build quality is the issue - The current concerns lay on porting over, say, an entire seastack from the old world that's really 100% different terrain from the new map.
Ahhhh I see what you are saying no I misunderstood the issue. Hmmm, I can see some examples where this might become an issue but I cant think of any where it wouldnt be a fixable one.
In the case of your example of the sea-stacks, there may not be anything like it in the new map but its almost certain that there will be some place where sea stacks would be appropriate. The ones you port over may need some touching-up in order to look congruous with the rest of the terrain but even if its not perfect thats no big deal, thats part of the identity of the location and it includes with it the history of its origin, represented visually.

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Ahhhh I see what you are saying no I misunderstood the issue. Hmmm, I can see some examples where this might become an issue but I cant think of any where it wouldnt be a fixable one.
In the case of your example of the sea-stacks, there may not be anything like it in the new map but its almost certain that there will be some place where sea stacks would be appropriate. The ones you port over may need some touching-up in order to look congruous with the rest of the terrain but even if its not perfect thats no big deal, thats part of the identity of the location and it includes with it the history of its origin, represented visually.
In my mind it's more 'How the heck did the same identical seastack cross the ocean / universe / planet to a new land?'

Legion

No Gods, No Masters.
Retired Staff
In my mind it's more 'How the heck did the same identical seastack cross the ocean / universe / planet to a new land?'
Thats probably a more relevant question for the lore side of how this will happen. In the past it was explained that, essentially, the gods/IKs just sort of picked things up and moved them. So everything would be identical. I have no information on the lore plans for it this time. But Im not sure theres much negative impact even from having identical things from another universe just plopped in without explanation. Its not like MC has a whole lot of visual fidelity in the first place.... XD

Rygan

Deathblade
Evil
Rygan_Deathblade
Rygan_Deathblade
Evil
Thats probably a more relevant question for the lore side of how this will happen. In the past it was explained that, essentially, the gods/IKs just sort of picked things up and moved them. So everything would be identical. I have no information on the lore plans for it this time. But Im not sure theres much negative impact even from having identical things from another universe just plopped in without explanation. Its not like MC has a whole lot of visual fidelity in the first place.... XD
Ah, fuck, either way it's a goddamn new map. I've waited a year for this.

Niko

Lord of Altera
Good
Legend
SirNicholas14
SirNicholas14
Good
Can I just say how amazing it is that the community just raised over half of the asking price of this map in as of now 2 hours 42 minutes.

Spear

The Undying Scholar.
Retired Staff
People worrying about moving builds over etc - This is not the first exodus, we've done this many times and it's always fine, relax moving stuffs not a big deal.

Would we have a similar system for area claims to last time?

Sankera

Lord of Altera
In-Game Tech Staff
Merchant
Staff
Pronouns
He/Him, They/Them
Sea_of_Fog
Sea_of_Fog
LegendMerchant
Can I just say how amazing it is that the community just raised over half of the asking price of this map in as of now 2 hours 42 minutes.
I'm hopefull to see how far people can get in a few hours when I wake up from my beauty sleep

Last edited:

Damascus

Legend of Altera
So I personally am pretty excited for this, and it provides a more solid reason for magic to come back when it does, because the previous times an Exodus have occurred have changed things aside from just the map.

Auriel

Lord of Altera
Lover
Auriel_
Auriel_
Lover
I will be working soon. I will literally pay within the month. I love yall, have a beautiful day.