Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

[Old World] Tambry-Upon-Tam

Status
Not open for further replies.

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
I'm also very disappointed OOC'ly in how various groups across the board reacted to bandits living in our undercity. There were several assumptions and negative reactions made.

1) "IC'ly Morgan and the bandits have some sort of agreement." This simply isn't true. What is true is that I, Antilogy, helped start the thieves guild by funding them with OOC money. They, along with the Blood Serpents, chose to make residence in Tambry when they found out we are open to allowing banditry in the sewers and of our plans of a black market in the undercity. I did not participate in any activities, nor have I done much more than traded with them. We aren't "harboring" them. They existed in the sewers because they wanted to exist in our sewers.

2) "The bandits should be eradicated from Tambry, even at the expensive of Tambry itself." Folks, bad guys deserve a place to RP, too. We decided to build a place for bandits precisely for this reason. We wanted to give them a centralized location where they could play and RP could progress beyond "Let's destroy Tambry in order to eradicate them." Now, these groups have been forced to the fringes of the map, where they don't get to participate in RP nearly as much, and frankly I can see how that would be disappointing. I OOCly would like nothing more than to find that the Snakes and the Thieves have returned to Tambry, along with any other bad characters, and I don't think it's right to go on witch hunts to destroy them unless your character has reason to have a personal grievance.

If it means I have to declare all of Tambry moderate to get these groups to return, I would, but I'd rather not do that. As I said before, people should get to RP bad characters if they want to.

It doesn't make sense. People have been asking for bandits and thieves and bad guys for months, yet as soon as they exist and start to thrive you all insist on destroying them.
I feel like I should give my 2cents here since you pointed me to this post:

I can only tell you my personal stance on it, since I indeed had an IC discussion regarding bandits in Tambry's sewers at my character's banquet.

Ad 1st
whether we would have made the IC assumption that you have an IC agreement would have depended on your answer to an IC letter, that at least to my knowledge, never left my desk. - Said letter was even designed with pretty favorable ways to proof your characters innocence - nevertheless a moot point as I never sent it, and the entire point by that time moot which I emphasized a few times during our talk.

When I talked with you OOC about what you missed while you were away, you told me yourself that it was the first time you heard about this too - so said discussion couldn't have made its way to you.

Ad 2nd
Note that the following is only my personal take on it.

Of course they do, but having the right to live somewhere and provoking your enemies are two very different things.
I see no IC justification why anyone should have to take their son getting killed by bandits (and that is the IC info the father got himself - I don't care for any OOC backgrounds).

Killing the relative of one of our vassals is more than enough reason for retaliation, in my opinion - Whether the measures discussed IC at the banquet (which you never heard of before I talked to you OOC after the point was already moot) were overdrawn is something that would have been up for an IC discussion if the letter I was preparing had ever left my nerve system.

Even our diplomat couldn't have said that as you, as previously said, heard about the measures discussed in IC for the first time - which is no wonder as our diplomat was IC lying drunk in a corner when said discussion took place.
Anyway I agree with the general sentiment that people should be allowed to play bad characters, but in the end they will have to live with the consequences of their IC actions. - The reason there is such a small number of people actually plays bad characters is that people don't want to live with the consequences of being evil.

In said case the consequence is probably a blood feud with one of our knights. - To which extend he actually wants to exercise it is entirely to his own character's bidding.

Please note that this only discusses Hierax justification for such a letter, had we actually sent it, as I have not the slightest idea what other victims of said blood serpent's told your character.

-------------------
Side note: Setting Tambry to moderate would have no real effect on the bandits, as you can't use tags to evade RP consequences - even if they took place somewhere else.
Otherwise all assassin's would live in peaceful regions, so they can kill their victims and then return home there to say 'You can't do anything to me!'

I feel like I should give my 2cents here since you pointed me to this post:

I can only tell you my personal stance on it, since I indeed had an IC discussion regarding bandits in Tambry's sewers at my character's banquet.

Ad 1st
whether we would have made the IC assumption that you have an IC agreement would have depended on your answer to an IC letter, that at least to my knowledge, never left my desk. - Said letter was even designed with pretty favorable ways to proof your characters innocence - nevertheless a moot point as I never sent it, and the entire point by that time moot which I emphasized a few times during our talk.

When I talked with you OOC about what you missed while you were away, you told me yourself that it was the first time you heard about this too - so said discussion couldn't have made its way to you.

Ad 2nd
Note that the following is only my personal take on it.

Of course they do, but having the right to live somewhere and provoking your enemies are two very different things.
I see no IC justification why anyone should have to take their son getting killed by bandits (and that is the IC info the father got himself - I don't care for any OOC backgrounds).

Killing the relative of one of our vassals is more than enough reason for retaliation, in my opinion - Whether the measures discussed IC at the banquet (which you never heard of before I talked to you OOC after the point was already moot) were overdrawn is something that would have been up for an IC discussion if the letter I was preparing had ever left my nerve system.

Even our diplomat couldn't have said that as you, as previously said, heard about the measures discussed in IC for the first time - which is no wonder as our diplomat was IC lying drunk in a corner when said discussion took place.
Anyway I agree with the general sentiment that people should be allowed to play bad characters, but in the end they will have to live with the consequences of their IC actions. - The reason there is such a small number of people actually plays bad characters is that people don't want to live with the consequences of being evil.

In said case the consequence is probably a blood feud with one of our knights. - To which extend he actually wants to exercise it is entirely to his own character's bidding.

Please note that this only discusses Hierax justification for such a letter, had we actually sent it, as I have not the slightest idea what other victims of said blood serpent's told your character.

-------------------
Side note: Setting Tambry to moderate would have no real effect on the bandits, as you can't use tags to evade RP consequences - even if they took place somewhere else.
Otherwise all assassin's would live in peaceful regions, so they can kill their victims and then return home there to say 'You can't do anything to me!'
First of all, I directed you to this thread in a private conversation and would have greatly appreciated you keeping said conversation private. Seeing as the cat is now out of the bag, I suppose I have some explaining to do to for our peers to make sense of all of this.

Here's the jist, starting from the beginning.
I bought Lydel, knowing full well that I wanted to start a new trade city just north of Lydel. I read on the forums about groups of bandits and decided to create an under city so as to provide a place for them to RP. I also OOCly gave money to one of the groups to kickstart it. Once Tambry was in place, many of its residents, unbeknownst to my character, were actually members of the different groups. Please keep in mind that Tambry is very much under construction and we had really only approved commerce based RP. I had a disclaimer at the top of the thread that explained that people are welcome to RP there if they could get past the whole floating city and flying builder thing, but that we were actually after people to build shops, as the main goal of Tambry is to promote commerce.

It is at this point that I took about a two week vacation. When I came back, I found out IC from 3 separate sources that the Turian Empire had its eye on Tambry and was planning to attack and occupy the city. All three of those sources confirmed that one of the primary reasons for the attack was because of the groups of bandits living underneath the city. While I knew OOC why they were being targeted, nobody bothered to tell Morgan ICly exactly what each group was wanted for, and nobody offered assistance to eradicate them.

Tambry, being an incomplete region with no formal government and desiring no military RP, was threatened. I did what my character would have done, which is to build up my defenses, search for allies, and attempt to (and successfully eradicate) the groups.

When I built up the defenses, I built a makeshift wall (that has since been torn down), acquired various designs for weaponry and war machines, and started digging a moat. I heard that players of certain groups were calling my character "Morgan Surrender" and that they were protesting and/or making fun of the walls that we built for being too ugly. The fact is, when a town feels threatened for whatever reason, it is likely to defend itself. We had sufficient notice and reason to build walls and react the way we did. Things started to heat up after a spout where we executed a prisoner dressed as the leader of the thieves guild and it seemed like some observers meta-gamed to know that it was not in fact said leader. Still, I was not going to report or make public any of this information, and I saw how people treated others for not agreeing to fight, so I decided to just carry on. However, somebody else reported it and staff got involved, diffusing the conflict and leading to an OOC and IC agreement that said group would not in fact attack Tambry.

Before that resolution, I was working on contacting various other houses to form a confederation to move against the Turian Empire. Renatus and Dawnshard were on board, and I was working hard to convince Wolfstadt and Hierax. Marr wouldn't help us, again because we had bandits in our sewers and again nobody told Morgan exactly why that was a problem.
When I heard back that Wolfstadt planned to sign a non-aggression pact with Turia, I attempted to contact Hierax again, which was again unfruitful.

That's when I talked with Dracon OOCly about this and learned that they initially had plans to attack tambry and give it to Turia. He told me of a letter he was planning on sending, but didn't send because he found out we had already eradicated the bandit groups. The cause was, once again, that we were harboring the bandit groups and that I was somehow involved. I was very angry that once again people misinterpreted why bandits lived in our sewers. So, I posted a vague post here in this thread about my disappointment and was going to leave it at that. That brings us to today, when you commented on my Event thread. I responded in a PRIVATE CONVERSATION inviting you to read this post, and you responded in a PUBLIC THREAD. Which explains why I now am also responding in public and explaining everything that happened.

So, my conclusion is that TWO separate groups wanted to or at some point intended to invade Tambry to run out the thieves and snakes in the sewers, while a third group offered help without the threat of invasion. Nobody told Morgan exactly why the groups were in trouble, and at least one of these groups initially thought Morgan was involved. Dracon, you said so yourself, you phrased the unsent letter that there were "favorable ways to prove my character's innocence", which means that I was guilty of association until proven innocent.

There's more... Tambry houses a base for both the Thieves Guild and the Blood Serpents, and certain events did occur there that I can see would cause commotion. But Tambry is not the primary base for the thieves guild or the Blood Serpents, as both of these groups have primary bases elsewhere. Why would anybody even assume either group is still in Tambry? So, why would two different groups have at least an intent to invade Tambry, an unaffiliated innocent trade town, in order to drive bandits out of bases that are not even the primary base? Both groups were roleplaying there because they were building there, Tambry is centrally located and easy to get to, and we actually provided a place for them to do so. Some of those people actually became part-time residents of Tambry.

Which brings us to the Event, a building contest whereupon I invited people to purchase, decorate, and open shops in Tambry. The winner would get 20,000r. Of the 14 active people who already have property in Tambry and could enter merely by posting the answers to four simple questions on the event thread, only two entered. No new players bought property to enter. As a result, I waited four days, then canceled the event. I did not invite comment as to why the event failed, but received it nonetheless. I disagreed with Dracon as to why, but rather than argue the point in public, I moved it to private, whereupon Dracon moved it back to the public by posting here.

Thus, my response to that inquiry is that the reason only two people entered the competition is because of the active members, many of them are scared about showing themselves in Tambry, even OOCly, because players tend to show up whereever they go. This is obvious abuse of the metamap and has killed RP activity in Tambry. That, combined with the perceived threat from Turia and the fact that Tambry isn't "new" anymore, has basically meant we haven't been selling property very well. So I created the event to try to spur some interest.

The Blood Serpents are gone. I talked to Brian about why, and he said exactly what I suspected. Every time he logs in as Roran, people appear where he is, ready to capture him.

Thus, I reiterate my position:

1) Too many people assumed Morgan was involved.
2) The response to bandit presence in Tambry was disproportionate.

Now that everything is properly explained, I'll answer your thread.

Even though you didn't send the letter, I'm still upset that you assumed Morgan was involved. I'm upset that, based on that presumption, you would have attacked Tambry, taken it, and given it to our then perceived enemies rather than help us defend the city against said enemies. I'm upset that you and other groups forced these groups to leave Tambry. I'm upset that no matter what, people seem to know where these bandits are. I'm upset that that's preventing them from coming to my city, even OOCly, because they're afraid of being metahunted and that people will again presume that I'm sheltering them. I'm upset that my event didn't work because the active members in Tambry who didn't enter did so because they're afraid to come back to Tambry, IC or OOC, because they'll be hunted.

I get it. These groups provoked powerful enemies. When they did so, they were in Tambry. That should not warrant an assumption that Morgan was involved, nor should it warrant a full out attack on the city. I think these groups are more than living with the reputation of being a villainous character. Some people refused to help Balatro fund the theater because his character is the leader of the thieves guild. As I said before, Brian is pretty much turned off from playing Roran and the Blood Serpents simply because no matter where he goes his pursuers somehow know where he is. My town is suffering, and I'm not even involved in either group. They are living with the consequences of their characters being villainous. But those consequences are disproportionate toward reality.

If you want to have a personal vendetta against a bandit group, that's fine, but leave my city alone, and leave my character alone. Leave Britney alone.

Finally, Tambry already is moderate, so I presume you meant the sewers themselves. As for that, I can change it to whatever I want. If bandit groups use it to escape RP consequences, that's not allowed, but the fact that that part of the region is violent doesn't bar me from ever changing it. It simply means that the bandits wouldn't return in order to avoid RP consequences.

/takes breath/

Now, for the love of God, please take this conversation back into private and rerail the thread.

Edit:

Of all the people who responded to the bandits being in Tambry, I think only one person responded realistically, and that's Michcat. Tzemik came to Tambry and RP'd with me to inquire as to the status of the bandits and then inspect the base. No threats or intents of war, no presumptions of guilt. Oh... I believe hero's character handled it that way as well, and I commend him for that.

Last edited by a moderator:

DraconDarknight

Lord of Altera
DraconDarknight
DraconDarknight
First of all, I directed you to this thread in a private conversation and would have greatly appreciated you keeping said conversation private. Seeing as the cat is now out of the bag, I suppose I have some explaining to do to for our peers to make sense of all of this.

So, I posted a vague post here in this thread about my disappointment and was going to leave it at that. That brings us to today, when you commented on my Event thread. I responded in a PRIVATE CONVERSATION inviting you to read this post, and you responded in a PUBLIC THREAD. Which explains why I now am also responding in public and explaining everything that happened.
pointing me to a thread means 'Feel free to post there' to me. Different people take the same thing in different ways. (especially when its 01:30)

While I knew OOC why they were being targeted, nobody bothered to tell Morgan ICly exactly what each group was wanted for, and nobody offered assistance to eradicate them.
That is too because my letter never made it out of my imagination. (although this part of your ost was probably still before my char's banquet and thus any letter at all) - at the point where I had time to write it (and another more IC condition was met) the problem already solved itself.

Before that resolution, I was working on contacting various other houses to form a confederation to move against the Turian Empire. Renatus and Dawnshard were on board, and I was working hard to convince Wolfstadt and Hierax. Marr wouldn't help us, again because we had bandits in our sewers and again nobody told Morgan exactly why that was a problem.
When I heard back that Wolfstadt planned to sign a non-aggression pact with Turia, I attempted to contact Hierax again, which was again unfruitful.
While dawnshard is a duchy of hierax one duke out of 7 doesn't say the entire Kingdom will come aboard.
Hierax doesn't make a habit out of going to wars we don't have to fight.

Regarding the bolted part - Honestly why bandits operating out of any City at all is bad is self explanatory.
For the protocol: At this point the bandits were already driven out (according to your IC letter)
- Which is why I didn't really think anything of telling you about it

That's when I talked with Dracon OOCly about this and learned that they initially had plans to attack tambry and give it to Turia. He told me of a letter he was planning on sending, but didn't send because he found out we had already eradicated the bandit groups. The cause was, once again, that we were harboring the bandit groups and that I was somehow involved. I was very angry that once again people misinterpreted why bandits lived in our sewers.
Its something I discussed at an IC dinner table, whether we would have actually done either of those is a completely different matter, that will hopefully forever be hidden behind the veil of unknowledge. - that we even discuss it right now shows that the letter alone would have had the desired InCharacter effect though.
Ok pure in char logic in regard to your character's involvement :
1st - Our offer would have been to either clear them out yourself or let them get cleared out. Whicht also includes an offer to do it in case your own town guard is inactive or otherwise unable to do it.
2nd - 'had planned', past perfect please. That changes a lot in the context
3rd - This interpretation why they lived in your sewers was
a) in character
b) reasonable in combination with the 'offer'
clear them out or let them get cleared out. - If your char had no interest in either of them he would have at least passively assisted them.
Indecision becomes decision.

Or a modern day analogy (may not be the best one though) if you had reasonable suspicions that a wanted murderer was living in your neighbors house, would you ask your neighbor if they were willingly sheltering them or just call the police?
Nevertheless, at least in some countries, your neighbor would be investigated, and likely be trialed.

Medieval Lords made actual demands to free cities, that were far more ridiculous and unreasonable than this, on that note..

So, my conclusion is that TWO separate groups wanted to or at some point intended to invade Tambry to run out the thieves and snakes in the sewers, while a third group offered help without the threat of invasion. Nobody told Morgan exactly why the groups were in trouble, and at least one of these groups initially thought Morgan was involved. Dracon, you said so yourself, you phrased the unsent letter that there were "favorable ways to prove my character's innocence", which means that I was guilty of association until proven innocent.
It wasn't just unsent it wasn't even in a word document, and notably still isn't.
You cleaned them out ICly before

As for guilty until proven innocent ~ Welcome to the medieval
I also generally take characters as different persons from the screen behind it ;).

While the question 'Wait does he actually know they live in his sewers ooc?' makes it a nice rp idea to me.
The question 'Wait, does Morgan Cerador possibly let blood serpents roam his sewers' on the other hand brings my character in a 'not amused' mind state, while I personally(behind the screen) couldn't care less.

There's more... Tambry houses a base for both the Thieves Guild and the Blood Serpents, and certain events did occur there that I can see would cause commotion. But Tambry is not the primary base for the thieves guild or the Blood Serpents, as both of these groups have primary bases elsewhere. Why would anybody even assume either group is still in Tambry? So, why would two different groups have at least an intent to invade Tambry, an unaffiliated innocent trade town, in order to drive bandits out of bases that are not even the primary base? Both groups were roleplaying there because they were building there, Tambry is centrally located and easy to get to, and we actually provided a place for them to do so. Some of those people actually became part-time residents of Tambry.
Said information was delivered to us IC, by someone from whom I have no reason to doubt they acquired it IC.

Thus, my response to that inquiry is that the reason only two people entered the competition is because of the active members, many of them are scared about showing themselves in Tambry, even OOCly, because players tend to show up whereever they go. This is obvious abuse of the metamap and has killed RP activity in Tambry. That, combined with the perceived threat from Turia and the fact that Tambry isn't "new" anymore, has basically meant we haven't been selling property very well. So I created the event to try to spur some interest.

The Blood Serpents are gone. I talked to Brian about why, and he said exactly what I suspected. Every time he logs in as Roran, people appear where he is, ready to capture him.

1) Too many people assumed Morgan was involved.
Fixed version said:

1) Too many characters assumed Morgan was involved.
Was the response drastic? - yes definitely
Would it have had IC effect? - Apparently or you wouldn't have had to write either post.

Now that everything is properly explained, I'll answer your thread.

Even though you didn't send the letter, I'm still upset that you assumed Morgan was involved. I'm upset that, based on that presumption, you would have attacked Tambry, taken it, and given it to our then perceived enemies rather than help us defend the city against said enemies. I'm upset that you and other groups forced these groups to leave Tambry. I'm upset that no matter what, people seem to know where these bandits are. I'm upset that that's preventing them from coming to my city, even OOCly, because they're afraid of being metahunted and that people will again presume that I'm sheltering them. I'm upset that my event didn't work because the active members in Tambry who didn't enter did so because they're afraid to come back to Tambry, IC or OOC, because they'll be hunted.

I get it. These groups provoked powerful enemies. When they did so, they were in Tambry. That should not warrant an assumption that Morgan was involved, nor should it warrant a full out attack on the city. I think these groups are more than living with the reputation of being a villainous character. Some people refused to help Balatro fund the theater because his character is the leader of the thieves guild. As I said before, Brian is pretty much turned off from playing Roran and the Blood Serpents simply because no matter where he goes his pursuers somehow know where he is. My town is suffering, and I'm not even involved in either group. They are living with the consequences of their characters being villainous. But those consequences are disproportionate toward reality.
And I stick to my statement that I can't control whether other people meta game using dynamap.

Finally, Tambry already is moderate, so I presume you meant the sewers themselves. As for that, I can change it to whatever I want.
Where exactly did I say you can't?
I said it wouldn't have helped them, because the action was already the implied/concludent agreement to the consequence.

/takes breath/

Now, for the love of God, please take this conversation back into private and rerail the thread.
Edit: Saw this too late - yes lets leave the rest for that.

10% off all property
Tambry is a great place for OOC and IC shops, with several shop owners already reporting profits exceeding investment. Now you have a chance to buy property at 10% off standard price. Every building's price is listed on a side on the exterior of the build.
Contact me if interested. If you'd like to RP the purchase, my character name is Morgan Cerendor. If I'm not on, feel free to post here that you're looking.

Last edited by a moderator:

Landem

Lord of Altera
finally got around to it-

IGN: landem or Autumnesque, @Tomato150 may be around instead, either works!
Server Application: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/landem-application-approved-ced.27707/
Character Sheet: don't have one, but this is the organisation thread!: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/slavers-inc.31833/
Desired Residency Classification: ic house/shop!
Do you own/lease property in Tambry?: not yet!
Do you wish to own/lease property in Tambry?: yep!

ah, we'd like this for a place to sell our slaves in-character, although it may not be public knowledge that's what the place is for, for security reasons!!

finally got around to it-

IGN: landem or Autumnesque, @Tomato150 may be around instead, either works!
Server Application: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/landem-application-approved-ced.27707/
Character Sheet: don't have one, but this is the organisation thread!: http://hollowworld.co.uk/threads/slavers-inc.31833/
Desired Residency Classification: ic house/shop!
Do you own/lease property in Tambry?: not yet!
Do you wish to own/lease property in Tambry?: yep!

ah, we'd like this for a place to sell our slaves in-character, although it may not be public knowledge that's what the place is for, for security reasons!!
Morgan would object, but this is why we have space set aside for black market. I have a couple spots in mind. Hopefully I will see you in game to show you a few options

Updated this morning with new maps and new images.

Also @Moochick I put everything in left alignment. I figured if it meant so much to you, might as well...

Moochick

The Very Best, That No One Ever Was
... It's a start.

*turn around in his swivel chair while stroking his cat*

Soon Potemkin, soon.

Archbishop

Faith prevail
Retired Staff
Archbishop
Archbishop
'This makes me think... Turia needs an embassy there.
It's already plotted out. You're the one closest the Capitol atm. Right next to Wolfstadt's, across from Renatus' and kitty-corner to Heirax. Should you come visit Tambry, I can show you the location. The plot is 21x26 with room for stables under it.

About Recruiting:

House Stirling and Tambry does not recruit newer or older players. If you wish to own property in Tambry or you want to join House Stirling, you must seek us out. Occasionally we will advertise open positions and jobs, but those postings are public and available to all. Any who wish to become a part of Tambry or House Stirling are welcome.

We have a lot of new shops and new residents. I will be updating the OP to reflect these changes.

Also, we are undergoing major expansions and we could really use supplies or rads to help fund our city. The best way to support us is to buy property in our city, but you can also "sponsor" builds, wherein we would name the build after you. We also accept donations.

We are currently working on filling in the "undercity" with dirt, and to do so we need massive amounts of dirt and laborers to help fill all the space with dirt. In addition, we are designing parks, and our imminent builds will include a library, a palace, a cathedral, more noble housing options, and some more shop style property.

We take great pride in this city, and right now is your chance to help us make Tambry live up to its potential!

Status
Not open for further replies.