Medieval & Fantasy Minecraft Roleplaying

Greetings Explorer, Navigate into the Lobby!

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Be sure to "Get Whitelisted" to join the community on server!

Pathfinder / 3.5 Game

luigi0ni

Legend of Altera
but when we get better and considering unless your putting us up against foes we cant possibly match ... i could make a few exceptions i guess in my list

Matto225

The White Mage
Hey! I've never played Pathfinder before, but i'd be really interested in joining this if possible :) The only thing is, I have no idea about the rules and stuff for the game, but if a) your willing to accept me and b) you aren't starting for anther week or two, i'd hopefully be able to teach myself everything asap and join!
If it's ful though, I completely understand! :)

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
Well, we aren't starting until the 14th due to our dungeon master going on vacation, but I'd think it would be great if you joined us! Of course it helps to know the rules, but they aren't all too difficult. So yeah, I guess you need an ok from the others but I think you could join!

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I'll be trying to act as a helpful mentor/example for this, so hopefully that assists too.

Matto225

The White Mage
dungeon master
Who would that be, so I could ask them? :)
I'll be trying to act as a helpful mentor/example for this, so hopefully that assists too.
Are you gong to be playing with us as well then, or not? Sorry, just confused by the previous posts :)

Also, does anyone know Where I could find an online version of the 3.5 rules? I've been unsuccessful thus far

Shrimpsy

Lord of Altera
The dungeon master's forum name is pyrocide, but he is on vacation and has no access to internet, I believe.
Naelwyn will be playing with us, and he's simultaneously playing the dungeon master for a different game.
We are not playing D&D 3.5, but Pathfinder. A link to a website with basic rules and such is here: http://www.d20pfsrd.com/

sneaky_ninja_66

Sorrows Warrior
Who would that be, so I could ask them? :)

Are you gong to be playing with us as well then, or not? Sorry, just confused by the previous posts :)

Also, does anyone know Where I could find an online version of the 3.5 rules? I've been unsuccessful thus far
You'll want to look up PFSRD on google. The first link will lead you to the online Pathfinder's resource. While many of the rules are similar to 3.5, there are enough differences to where it warrants their separation.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Want an easy job? Play the tank.

You don't have to worry about skills, utility, anything. You just need to worry about, in order:

1) Not Dieing
2) Trying to keep everyone else from dieing.

[This would also let me go from partial caster to full arcane caster and give our group some much needed utility. It's what I'm best at by far.]

pyrocide

The Mogul of Cromarcky
I'm leaving for vacation in about an hour, yay.

Yes, I'm the DM for this game and we're using pathfinder. As they have already said above check out the pfsrd for the rules, and if you have a major book store nearby I'd suggest giving the player's guide a read through, because it packages all the information the srd has into a much easier to read format.

Stick close to Naelwyn, since he knows the rules very well already. He can guide you through character creation and maybe even show you how a game would play out.

When I get back I'd like to hit the ground running. You all have a solid week to get your party the way you'd like, so make good use of the time. Also, for this adventure you don't have to know each other to start, but already knowing one other character is never a bad thing, so you may want to discuss possible background intertwining.

See you in a week!

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Right. Time to get started assisting.

So, the basics, folks.

This is a pre-published adventure. As such, it assumes certain party dynamics and skills will be available.

The "classic" D&D Party consisted of 4 classes:

The Fighter - The warrior, the beefy, strong character who can actually take a hit.
The Thief - The skilled character who can find secret doors and disarm traps. Usually does good physical damage, but has much worse defense than the fighter.
The Magic-User - Who can perform various utility magic. Almost always arcane.
The Healer - The guy who keeps everyone else alive through various nastiness.

Most, if not all modules assume you have all of these roles covered at least.

Our current party looks like this:

Fighter x1
Thief x3

Thus our conundrum.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
I'm going to be switching to playing the magic-user, for the simple reason that it's the most complicated role to do, and I've got massive amounts of experiance doing it.

This leaves us three primary roles to fill before we do anything else.

So, let's work out, who really likes:

Fighter/Combat Character, Thief/Skilled Character, Healer, ie: Divine Caster

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
So, let me create this new character in public view to be helpful.

My primary functional role is the utility fellow. It is my job to know things, to find information, and to have just the right thing on hand to get us through a situation. Based on that, roleplaying wise, I can see an elf working out better than a human.

So, Elven Wizard. Fairly archetypal, so far.
This concept is the thinky person. I need INT. Badly. I see this character as a fairly typical elven mage. Haughty, a bit arrogant, and not particularly strong.

Thus, my stats, after racial adjustments for being an Elf:

STR: 8, DEX: 14, CON: 12 INT: 20, WIS 10, CHA 8.

Skills: The Wizard's class skills are: Appraise (Int), Craft (Int), Fly (Dex), Knowledge (all) (Int), Linguistics (Int), Profession (Wis), and Spellcraft (Int).

I've got 7 to pick from, 8 if I decide to be far, far too squishy.
The obvious ones to pick up are, of course, the intelligence skills. It's my job. I select Spellcraft, Linguistics, Knowledge(Arcana), and Knowledge(Planes) to start off as the standard 'Wizard' skills package. Now I get to pick the remainder as part of defining my roleplaying specifics. As an elven Wizard, I choose to invest my remaining skill points into Perception, Knowledge(Nature), and Fly.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Feats: I don't want to go through all this and immediately die. Wizards are Squishy. Let's make this one less so, and take Toughness.

Traits: Now, let's think of what makes sense for this character, starting with the Campaign trait:

Rise of the Runelords: Outlander. (Fairly obvious.)

The other two are harder. I see this character as independantly motivated and driven, and his arrogance means he will not take orders well, so joining organizations is out.

Council of Thieves gives me Conspiracy Hunter, under this reasoning.

Legacy of Fire: Now we're getting to the hard zone. Earning Your Freedom is right out, As is Seeking Adventure, Gnoll Killer, and Missionary. Down to two. I'm not a particular fan of character's that have lost everyone in their background, so that gives me 'Finding Haleen,' which is also a sensible way to have an Elf there.

For the other, as a wizard one obviously looks to the Magical Traits section. This is not a combat-focused wizard. This character is not, in fact, that dedicated or focused, so concentration things are out. Most of the others have background issues somewhere or another that make me dislike them. Thus, I choose to go with Theoretical Magician, because frankly it suits this character's role the best.

Matto225

The White Mage
Ok, first off can I just say a huge thank you to you all for being so supportive towards the newbie for all the help, links and stuff! :D I'm diving into the rules as we speak, it all looks quite daunting, but gimmie a week and I'll have a vague idea of whats going on at the least :)

As for my character, I would personally like to take up the role of Healer if possible. However, as you've said Naelwyn, it might be easier for me to take the fighter role - I was wondering how feasible it would be for me to take on the role of Healer as someone who's new to the game. All feedback appreciated, i'd be happy to be a Fighter tank guy, but Healer would be brilliant :3

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Wizardy-stuff:

Class Specialization, Archetypes:

Again, I help the group best by knowing things, finding ways around things, and having general utility.

As such, Diviner is probably the best choice. Looking at archetypes, there are also two that synergize with this chosen role, and to my joy, function together perfectly: The "Scroll Scholar" archetype trades some combat abilities for some bonuses to knoweldge skills and spell IDing, great.
There is also an Elven racial Archetype, the Spellbinder, that also synergizes with the flexibility this role requires.

I will be dropping Enchantment, because controlling people's minds has always made me unformfortable, and Necromancy, since it really doesn't suit my character concept.

Thus, we begin picking spells for our character that fit our above choices.

I won't bother you with the full contents of my spellbook, but for the sake of fighting, here's what I can do:
0th:
Prestigigitation, Detect Magic, Ghost Sound - The three most overall useful cantrips, and for low levels, Acid Splash/Ray of Frost, for a ranged combat ability that never runs out.
1st: I get -one- meaningful spell a day. At present, it needs to be one that can save from a very bad situation. At this level, we've got to go with:
Colour Spray.
(And I forget bonus spells... All three of them.)
Hmmn. Honestly, yeah, I do like Infernal Healing. Let's take:
Infernal Healing
Grease
And, for the Divination Slot, something that will be likely to be often useful: Comprehend Languages.

Naelwyn

Non sum qualis eram
Ok, first off can I just say a huge thank you to you all for being so supportive towards the newbie for all the help, links and stuff! :D I'm diving into the rules as we speak, it all looks quite daunting, but gimmie a week and I'll have a vague idea of whats going on at the least :)

As for my character, I would personally like to take up the role of Healer if possible. However, as you've said Naelwyn, it might be easier for me to take the fighter role - I was wondering how feasible it would be for me to take on the role of Healer as someone who's new to the game. All feedback appreciated, i'd be happy to be a Fighter tank guy, but Healer would be brilliant :3
Healers, by the definition, really, are invariably Divine Spellcasters. Fortunately, all divine spellcasters by default get to be, essentially, an off-tank. They are about equal to a good 'theif' type character in complexity to do. Honestly they aren't too bad.

Matto225

The White Mage
After some thought, I think a tanky Warrior might actually suit me better - would that be ok with the team?